Dr Aida Othman is a Partner at Zaid Ibrahim & Co (a member of the ZICO Law) She is also the managing director of ZICO Shariah Advisory Services Sdn Bhd.
Dr Aida specializes in Islamic banking and finance, Islamic capital market instruments and takaful products and operations. She also advises on Shariah compliance and governance, including on the legal and regulatory framework for Islamic finance.
In particular, she has advised on:
- The structure and documentation for both Islamic corporate and retail financing;
- The legal and regulatory framework for Islamic financial services;
- Structuring and Shariah compliance issues for sukuk issuance, private equity funds and unit trust funds;
- Shariah review and Shariah audit of Islamic financial institutions;
- Takaful products and operations;
- Islamic wealth planning and management.
- Halal assurance systems and halal certification.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at the Faculty of Art s& Sciences, Harvard University, United States of America
- Doctor of Philosophy in Comparative Law & Middle Eastern Studies from Harvard University, United States of America
- Masters of Law from Cambridge University, United Kingdom
- Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) and Bachelor of Islamic Law (Shariah) (First Class Honours) from International Islamic University, Malaysia.
Aida is an Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya.
She is also:
- a panel arbitrator for Islamic finance or other Shariah related disputes at the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA);
- a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), United Kingdom;
- a member of the Technical Working Group on Ethics of the Accounting & Auditing Organization for Islamic Financial Institutions (AAOIFI), Bahrain;
- a member of the Shariah Committee, HSBC Amanah Malaysia Berhad;
- a member of the Islamic Finance Committee, Bar Council, Malaysia;
- a member of the Association of Shariah Advisors in Islamic Finance (ASAS), Malaysia.
- a member of the Specialists’ Panel, Labuan International Business & Financial Centre (LIBFC).
- Authored a chapter on “Shariah Governance in International Capital & Sukuk Markets”, The Edinburgh Companion to Shari’ah Governance in Islamic Finance, forthcoming.
- Authored a chapter on “Islamic Finance in ASEAN: Opportunities & Challenges” in the RAM Holdings Berhad’s Islamic Finance – The New Normal, 2017.
- Authored an article on “Law and Legislation” for Global Islamic Finance Report 2014;
- Co-authored an article entitled “Wealth Management from the Shariah Perspective”, Journal of Wealth Management and Financial Planning published by Labuan IBFC Inc., March 2016;
- Authored an article on “How can Pension Funds Capture Big Opportunities to Boost the Scale of the Islamic Sector?” in The Malaysian Opportunity” for Thompson Reuters’ Global Islamic Asset Management Outlook 2015: Unlocking Potential, 2015;
- Co-authored a section on Islamic Finance Policy in Malaysia for the Global Islamic Finance Report 2015;
- Co-authored An Introduction to Islamic & Conventional Corporate Finance, published by Sweet & Maxwell, 2012;
- Co-authored a chapter entitled “The Effectiveness of the Legal Framework for the Islamic Financial Services” in the book entitled Surveys on Legal and Shari’ah Issues in Islamic Financial Services, published by the Islamic Financial Services Board (IFSB), 2008;
- Co-authored an article on “The Bank’s Claim in a BBA Facility: Reconsidering the Affin Bank Case, MIF Monthly December 2007;
- “And Amicable Settlement Is Best”: Sulh and Dispute Resolution in Arab Law Quarterly, Volume 21, Issue 1, 2007, pages 64 – 90;
- Aida Othman, ‘Introducing Alternative Dispute Resolution in Malaysia: Prospects and Challenges’,  2 Malayan Law Journal ccxxiv.