Dr Maung Maung Thein is a former Deputy Minister of Finance and has over 40 years’ experience working in the public and private sectors.
A lawyer by training, he was instrumental in the establishment and liberalisation of the Myanmar Insurance market and the historic commencement of the Yangon Stock Exchange in 2016. He is also well known for his work in international affairs, and his specializations include banking and non-banking financial sectors.
Dr Maung Maung Thein started his career as a part-time tutor in the Law Department of Yangon University. He later moved to various government agencies including the Housing Authority, the National Shipping Line and National Insurance Co.
He was formerly serving as Chairman of Securities and Exchange Commission of Myanmar (SECM), Chairman of the Insurance Business Regulatory Board, Deputy Chairman of Microfinance Regulatory Board and Member of the Myanmar Investment Commission amongst others. Currently, Dr Maung Maung Thein is also a consultant to the Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry (UMFCCI), a national level non-governmental organization representing and safeguarding the interests of the private business sector in Myanmar. He is also a member of the SME Development Central Committee which is chaired by the President and the State Counsellor. His academic achievements include publishing six books, including a notable textbook on Insurance Law in the English language that is being taught in the Universities) and written over 350 articles some of which have been published in overseas publications. He is also a visiting guest lecturer upon invitation at various universities in Myanmar and is regularly invited to speak on national television programs on finance and business.
He is also involved in public service activities such as sitting as the Chairman of the Secretariat Conservation Trust involved in the conservation of heritage buildings and is now overseeing the conservation of the 112-year old Secretariat Building in Yangon.
- PhD (international economic law)
- Master of Laws, Yangon University
- Bachelor of Laws, Yangon University
- Bachelor of Arts (Law), Yangon University
- Post-graduate diploma (Applied Psychology), Yangon University
- Associate of the Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance & Finance
Former Professional Affiliations include:
- Chairman, Securities and Exchange Commission of Myanmar (SECM)
- Chairman, Insurance Business Regulatory Board
- Deputy Chairman Microfinance Regulatory Board
- Chairman, AFDM (ASEAN Finance and Central Bank Deputies Meeting)
- Chairman, Working group for Open Government Partnership,
- Chairman of the working committee and multi-stakeholder group in Myanmar EITI (Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative)
- Co-chairman, AFDM+3 in Nay Pyi Taw, Kazakhstan and Tokyo.
- Deputy Chairman, ASEAN Financial Inclusion Advisory Group (FIAG).
- Advisor to the Kyaukphyu and Dawei Special Economic Zones.
- Member of the Myanmar Investment Commission.