ZICO’s Green Initiative – Energy saving measures
To celebrate Earth Day on 22 April 2021, the Kuala Lumpur office played its part in ensuring an ecofriendly future and saving energy.
Why save energy?
In Malaysia, most of our electricity is generated through burning fossil fuels. The more electricity we use, the more coal and gas we burn to generate electricity, leading to an increase in harmful carbon emissions. By saving energy, we can reduce air and water pollution and combat climate change. Not to mention we will also be saving money on our electricity bill!
What can we do?
We have implemented some simple measures:
- When you come in, only turn on the lights of your own department. Admin will only turn on the lights to the main areas of the office visible to visitors.
- When you leave for lunch, switch your computer to sleep mode.
- Shut down your computer/laptop and turn off the main power switch before you leave the office.
- If your computer is idle for more than 20 minutes, IT have set it to go to sleep mode (so don’t worry, you haven’t been hacked). For laptops, please save your work periodically when not connected to a power source. If your battery runs out while in sleep mode, unsaved WIP will be lost.
- If you are the last to leave at the end of day, turn off the printer and all the lights at your department.
- To remind you to save energy, a pop-up message will appear on your computer screen at 6pm everyday (so don’t worry, it isn’t a virus).
- The lights to the library will be turned off after 6.00pm. If you need to use the library after 6.00pm, turn on the lights you need and turn it off before you leave.
- During this period of reduced headcount in the office, only one water dispenser will be turned on per floor.
In addition to the passive measures above, we are looking into the feasibility of installing energy-efficient appliances, including motion sensor lights to further reduce our energy consumption and carbon footprint.
For more information on this initiative, contact Khoo Yu Lin.